People don’t realise just how easy it is to register a domain name, so we often get asked to do it on a client’s behalf. Many website designers will do it and some even do it in such a way as to control the domain and make it hard for a client to leave, but we prefer our clients to have full control of their domains for two reasons:
- It is cheaper to register it yourself (and takes the same amount of time as telling us your details)
- Your domain name as part of your business should be under your control, even if you do give administrative access to someone else.
Following are the steps to registering your domain name with CrazyDomains.com.au (the domain registrar we use ourselves):
1. Search for the domain name you are after
2. Add the domain name to your shopping cart
3. Enter your details to create an account and register the domain name
4. Skip all the upsells (we do not recommend their website hosting)
5. Make your payment
So you can see that the process of registering a domain name is quite simple. By doing it yourself you maintain control and save the fees your website developer might charge for their time in addition to the domain registrar’s fee.